Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Why Run & Other Answers to Political Questions

So, in my last post, Long-Shot Candidates in the Marketplace, I focused on the segment Long-shot candidates reap benefits after race that aired on the public radio program Marketplace on July 21st, a 2 minute and 10 second piece that included a couple of quotes from me. And at the end, I promised to share some outtakes in my next post. So, here we are.

Actually, I found the process by which the interview was recorded to be quite interesting. If you listen to the Marketplace segment, my quotes sound more or less like they're studio quality. That's not how recordings taken off of the telephone usually sound. By way of contrast, you can hear how I sound in the telephone interview featured in my recent post, Talking About Talking. It's not bad, but it's clear that there's a drop off in quality, and a significant difference between the interviewee, that's me, and the interviewer on the recording end of the call.

The difference that made so much of a difference had to do with the way the telephone interview was conducted and recorded. And to be honest, this was the first time I had ever taken part in this sort of thing, or even heard of it, which is why I want to relate the process as well as the product to you here on Blog Time Passing. After I agreed to do the interview, it started with the public radio journalist, Nova Safo, asking me if I had an iPhone, to which I responded in the affirmative (love my iPhone). He then directed me to this video on Vimeo that explains the process:




Your iPhone makes interviews crystal clear from Aspen Public Radio on Vimeo.
This video is a helpful guide on how you can use your iPhone to record and send a crystal clear interview with Aspen Public Radio.


So you see, the way this Aspen Public Radio method worked is that he conducted the interview via a regular land line, him asking questions and me answering them, and at the same time I recorded my part of the conversation using my iPhone's Voice Memos app, and then e-mailed the files to him. And the result was, indeed, a crystal clear couple of quotes coming up on the radio segment.

And another result of this process was... outtakes! (Hurray!!!) So I edited the audio files to cut out the parts where I said things like, okay it's recording now, and okay I'm hitting stop now. I also edited out the long sections where there was little or nothing to hear, because Nova Safo's voice was necessarily inaudible in this kind of set-up. 

Which is truly a shame because it was a very stimulating conversation, and it was a pleasure to respond to the series of intelligent questions posed by Safo. 

Instead, however, the resulting effect is kind of interesting, I hope, because you have to infer the questions based on the answers I give. I guess this cools down what would otherwise be a hot, high definition medium, to use McLuhan's good old terminology.

Anyway, I turned the edited audio files into a YouTube video, as the most accessible vehicle for the recordings, and gave it the title of Why Long Shot Candidates Run for President (not terribly original, I know, but it's hard enough, for me at least, just getting all this editing, formatting, and uploading done). Anyway, for what it's worth, here it is:





And yeah, a little typo on the title text, I'd go back and change it, but again, it's so much work just to get it done and up there that I really don't want to put more time into it right now, and I hope you'll just let it pass by.

And I do hope you find something of interest in these outtakes, and the process by which mass media quotes are abstracted out of them (there I go getting all general semantics like again), and/or the interview process Nova Safo used. And if not, oh well, I tried...




No comments: