Thursday, December 29, 2011

Lecturing in Grand Rapids On the Binding Biases of Time

So, Grand Rapids has come up quite a bit here on Blog Time Passing over the past few months, and this time around I have some video to share, although it is admittedly not as entertaining as the Grand Rapids Lip Sync video I featured in my post last month, American Pied Piper.

But if you recall my previous posts such as Good Things From the Valley, Down in the Valley, At the Podium, and Grand Valley Grandeur, you'll remember that I gave a public lecture at Grand Valley State University in Grand Rapids, Michigan, back on September 21, 2011, based on my book published earlier this year (displayed over on the right), entitled (you guessed it!) On the Binding Biases of Time and Other Essays on General Semantics and Media Ecology (actually, this lecture, originally a keynote address delivered at the New York State Communication Association's annual meeting a few years ago, was the basis for the expanded version that appears in the book).

The lecture was videotaped, and recently uploaded to YouTube by Aaron Bannasch of GVSU.  I added the videos to my channel as well, and proceeded to provide them to you, dear Blog Time Passing enthusiast, as just one more service of our full service operation here.  Unfortunately, the lecture is broken up into three separate parts, or actually, two, as the third part features a rather interesting question and answer session. Just a caveat that the last lines of the lecture have a glitch, kind of like a record skipping, but I guess a bit of a time warp is fitting, after all. It's a little loss of poetry, but does not detract at all from the content of the address.

So, anyway, here goes:





 







And there you go.  It's a lot of talk, I know, but hey, things are pretty quiet this time of year, so I hope you don't mind, and if you don't have the time to listen to it, well, that's kind of the point, isn't it?



2 comments:

Raymond E. Bouchard said...

thank you for the videos!
i just started watching. are these all parts?

Lance Strate said...

yes they are, thanks for watching!