Thursday, March 11, 2010

A New New Media Shout Out


As I've mentioned before on more than one occasion, it was my friend and colleague at Fordham University, Paul Levinson, who got me into this whole blogging scene, and social media in general.  If it weren't for him, you wouldn't be reading this, so any criticisms you may have of anything at all having to do with this blog, or my online activity, should be directed at him.

So, Paul was recently interviewed for Fordham's new in-house student-run cable TV show, Fordham Nightly News, and the segment was uploaded to YouTube under the title:  Quarreyman News: Paul Levinson.  The write-up says, "Fordham Nightly News piece on Fordham" and "Dr. Paul Levinson's life outside of Fordham," which in my opinion makes the unfounded assumption that Paul has a life, let alone one outside of Fordham.

I kid, of course, and I'm happy to share this with you, all the more so because Paul gives me a shout out here.  It seems that I've become a character in one of Paul's science fiction stories...  What? Oh.  Oops, my mistake, I'm a character in one of his nonfiction books instead, one called New New Media, which is all about Web 2.0 and social media.  If you haven't picked up your copy yet, what are you waiting for?  I'm using the book in two of my classes this semester, as a matter of fact, and after the term is over, I'll be making a full report here on Blog Time Passing.

But the video is about more than just the book (and me), so I'll let you take a gander for yourself:




Of course, while YouTube is an example of what Levinson calls new new media, the television program itself is a bit of old media.  Not old old media, of course.  In fact, given that McLuhan, Carpenter, and others referred to television, radio, and movies as the new media back in the 50s, you might say it's old new media.  Well, whatever it is, thank you Paul, and keep up the good work, and words!


1 comment:

Mike Plugh said...

Good stuff. I'm a character in the book too. I play a minor role, sort of like the waiter that shows up at Robert DeNiro's table, puts down a drink, and then walks off.

My cameos are on pages xiv and 123, which rhymes if you read it out character by character...speaking of characters.

(I should note that the word verification I'm about to input as a security measue is "notstabl" which seems altogether fitting.