Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Ode on a Geekian Turn

So, in my previous post I mentioned how the subject of the Vulcan salute came up in a comment someone left me on a poem I posted on my MySpace poetry blog.  I responded to that comment, and that became the basis of my last post here.  And you're probably wondering what was the poem that elicited such a comment.  Or maybe you weren't wondering.  Probably not, but, well, here it is anyway:






Ode on a Geekian Turn





If Luke Skywalker had not blown up the Death Star
Then the Rebels would have been crushed
The Empire would have reigned supreme
Yoda would have gone to his grave as the last Jedi
And Darth Vader would never have been redeemed
The Emperor's iron fist would have stifled the exploration of galaxies far, far away
So that a long, long time later
No life would have migrated to planet Earth
No human beings would have been present to build cities and civilizations
There would be no scientific discoveries or new inventions
No rockets to outer space
No walking on the moon
And centuries from now
There would be no warp drive or transporters
No Starship Enterprise
No Captain Kirk
No Mr. Spock the half-human, half-Vulcan hybrid
No United Federation of Planets
No one to stand against the Klingons, Romulans, the Dominion, and the Borg.
Thank goodness the Force was with us then
Is it with us now?




No comments: