Monday, November 2, 2009

Back in the Land of Baseball

So, I just got back from a week in India, where cricket is all the rage, as their national team was doing well against Australia.  I watched a little bit of it, having no idea of what was going on, and I have to say that it is good to be back in the land of baseball, even though this was a disastrous season for my New York Mets.


I'm not a Yankee hater, I just hate how the local media fawns over them and doesn't give my team equal coverage, even when they're doing well.  But I do think the Mets need a change in their minayacal front office.  Without really good pitching, in what sense is this a New York Mets team?


Ah, but no one wants to hear about the Mets right now.  I'd wish the Yankees luck, but I don't think they need it.


So instead, I want to refer you to a blog post by Ted Walker, who is a co-blogist of the blog called pitchers & poets.  The blog post is entitled Watching the Hero Walk Alone, Together: Ritual, Community, Power, and Baseball, and it's a nice meditation on the sport, it's intellectual qualities, and it's individualism.  And I say this not only because Ted makes reference to, and says nice things about my essay, "The Medium of Baseball," which was published in Take Me Out to the Ball Game: Communicating Baseball,; edited by Gary Gumpert and Susan Drucker (Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press, 2002, pp. 37-70).

So, if you like baseball, go read Watching the Hero Walk Alone, Together: Ritual, Community, Power, and Baseball, leave a comment if you care to, and tell Ted that I sent you!

No comments: