Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

As a tribute and memorial, I thought I would post here two poems I've posted on my MySpace poetry blog on this theme.


long, long time



rubble, rubble
toil and trouble
jet engines scream
buildings crumble
fire burns


ashes upon ashes
dust upon dust
fire burns


shock and stumble
fire burns


autumn leaves fall
falling
falling
fire burns
fire burns
fire burns


swing me low
sweet cherry
it has been a long, long time since I been home


swing me low
sweet cherry
it has been a long, long time since I been home







what followed



following the shock and the panic
the desperate race to collect the children
and huddle together in what once was
the safety of the home
the black curtain of smoke
rising in the distance
the horror replaying replaying replaying on TV
(but cable only, the networks knocked off the air)


following the exodus, stuck in traffic
the tiny sliver of an island sealed off
like some bad sci fi movie


following the chaos and the confusion
the mad rush to the supermarket
the cries of disbelief and anger
the first of many tears


following the day of madness



came a long moment of silence
a time of stillness
a quiet never known before
in the city of cities
no cars on the road
no planes overhead
no people rushing to work, or play
the ever-present buzz was gone
the white noise replaced by black silence



and all that could be heard
was a whispered accounting:



one brother
one husband
one son



Aftermath.

No comments: