Saturday, May 26, 2007

Wikipedia-Worthy

Well, I'm not sure what to say, and I'm not sure whether I should say anything, or whether I should delay, but what the hey! As I wrote in my fourth post on this blog, The Unexamined Blog is Not Worth Blogging, this blogging thing of ours is an exercise in narcissism. So, being a dedicated blogist, well, in for a dime, in for a dollar, or all in as the Texas hold 'em types say.

I first introduced the question of what sort of content is blog-worthy in an early post on Blogism. But as a blog professional (professional not in the sense of getting paid for it, mind you, but in the sense that I profess to blog, I profess this blog, methinks that I profess too much), the determination of blog-worthiness is pretty much a matter of my own professional judgment. And that is all well and fine and good, no one gets hurt but me, it's a victimless crime.

Wikipedia is another matter altogether, it's a fabulous collaborative online resource, great and terrible, just full of beans and who can count how many. We all know it's not all that reliable, but we all turn to it just the same, and return to it more and more. My 13-year-old son knows about hundreds, maybe thousands of movies he's never seen (horror movies and violent action films in particular) from browsing through Wikipedia.

Well, it seems that I am now Wikipedia-worthy. Someone (I know what you're thinking, no, it wasn't me, I try to keep my narcissism confined to blogging) has added a Wikipedia entry on me! Woohoo! It's been up for the better part of a week now. I know the people who run Wikipedia will delete entries that they deem to be unworthy, but I'm told that this usually happens within a day or two, so I'm past that initial hurdle, although it takes a full month to be completely secure I hear. So it goes.

This is the second great honor I've received in a short period of time, having recently received The Thinking Blogger Award (see Thinking Blogger Award Goes Here ↓ to read all about it). So, having gained admittance to the Enchanted Wiki Room, well, I'm going to Disney World! I wish (upon a star).

My son was looking up movies on Wikipedia yesterday (I was in the office) and my wife told him to look me up, thinking he'd be impressed, proud, etc. So, he looked me up, and his reaction? He was angry that the entry didn't mention him!

And I am sure that all of you, my many readers, will now be looking at this blog with different eyes now that I can blind you with my Wikipedian aura. I would say that I am the man of the aura, but that would be an aurable pun, guv'ner.

What then can I say, except that I realize that being Wikipedia-worthy is a great honor and a great responsibility, one that I do not take lightly. I know that wherever I go and whatever I do, I will be judged accordingly, and will act as an ambassador of good will on behalf of Wikipedians everywhere.

And I will strive to make this blog worthy of a Wikipedia-worthy bloggist by giving you, my public, only the most blog-worthy blogging that I can blog.

No comments: